Yoga is beneficial for everyone, but it is especially so for teenagers; given that these can be difficult years, both emotionally and physically, yoga can help teens find inner peace, confidence as well as ensure physical fitness.
– develops good posture and helps maintain a young person's natural flexibility
– supports growing bodies and tones the body, stabilising core muscles and maintaining joint mobility
– supports the immune, respiratory, circulatory systems
– prevents sports injury
– improves co-ordination and balance
– teaches the body how to relax
– improves sleep
Mental + Emotional benefits
– builds positive relationship with the body
– improves concentration levels
– improves anxiety through teaching of breathing techniques
– releases day to day anxieties such as separation issues, bullying, lethargy and feelings of negativity
– offers a space to release excess energy
– brings clarity through relaxation techniques
– gives experiences of stillness to the mind
– improves memory retention
– slows brain patterns, making information easier to absorb
– creates a deeper sense of self and awareness
How many times have you been to a class ‘suitable for beginners’ and got there and felt like the only beginner in the room? That happening can put you off going to class again because you don’t want to feel like the only person not knowing what they’re doing.
What if you could start your journey with people who are at exactly the same level as you? In a safe environment? With a teacher you can trust?
That sounds like a better option, right? Then keep reading for this 5 week Yoga for beginners course!
Course dates: 19th January – 23rd February (no class on 8th Feb)
Class time: Saturdays 11:15 – 12:45
Location: Yoga Balance, North Finchley, N12 9EP
Price: £75 - this includes all classes, a manual and a goodie bag
Each week has a different focus, but our main objective will be to understand, feel and embody each pose in a way that suits you. We will use props, partner work and individual exploration to make a solid start to your Yoga journey.
Week 1 – Breath and Sun Salutations
Week 1 focuses on understanding and feeling your own body, learning how to move it properly and how to use your breath in a way that facilitates movement. To work through this, you’ll learn Sun Salutation A (Suryanamaskar A) which involves many of the transitional poses we use in Yoga and therefore provides a really great base for the rest of your journey.
Week 2 – Standing and Seated Poses
Week 2 we will delve straight into learning the basic standing and seated poses which will start to help you build a lot of your base strength, which is needed in all Yoga classes.
You’ll discover ways to best perform these poses for yourself and your needs in a way that will aid your progression.
Week 3 – Forward bends and Back bends
This week may sound like a complex one, but will turn these poses into amazing and easy movements that will simply free your body in a way it’s never been opened before!
Week 4 - Twists and Inversions
Inversions always seem like the scariest of poses to perform but as with all Yoga poses there are ways of approaching these poses that will make it easier to overcome the fear and liberate the mind! We will look at the many twist variations with fun and discover how purifying they can be.
Week 5 – Putting it all together
This final week will put together what you have learnt into one full Yoga lesson and leave ready and excited to move into a standard group class.